Stop optimizing history
Do you know how to create the best plan of action from your business strategy?
Is your strategy demonstrating how the company income will withstand the changes your business will meet in future?
Do you explore the opportunities for your future offering that you discover while improving your existing products and services?
If the answer is yes, you are well on your way with the changes your company will need to protect and develop future revenue streams.
If not, you might like to participate in strategic exercises that secure your strategy work is qualifying for the changes that you will face, and makes your able to implement innovation in a way that you understand and that suits your business.
Map your movements of change
The pyramid of business transformation © is a tool, guiding you through change on all levels of business development, so you can find your roadmap to future value creation and income.
It empowers you to control and activate business strategy for existing and future operations and it shows where to use strategic design processes to improve or revolutionize your offering.
The way you change your offering in small incremental steps or more innovative leaps, mapped as movements in the pyramid defines customer centric experiences and supports cross-disciplinary product development. And it describes how you should realize your strategy.
This is how it works
Start by defining your starting point in the pyramid and the context of your business.
The goal for the exercises with the pyramid is to make informed decisions and develop competitive edge fast.
- Define which part of your business you want to make an action plan for.
- Map the projects in existing operations, and point out the driving forces behind value creation (level 1).
- Map the business trends, social, technology and economical trends and business goals (level 3).
- Include other important goals that influence the business area that you want to explore (level 3).
- Define a vision for the future (level 4).
- Use the selected input in level 3 to guide your idea process, pointing out opportunities for new or improved value creation (level 2).
- Map the ideas you create to the validation tools (select tools that fits your measurements for value delivery to your customers)
- Iterate on the search for opportunities until you can define concepts or collections of opportunities that by implementation create the edge or increased revenue that you are seeking (level 1-3).
How to get started
The pyramid of business transformation © is a framework for strategy work, with a creation process integrated in the methodology. It melts the strategy of a viable, feasible and desirable offering together.
The method is a way of making integrated thinking, coined by Roger Martin and highly advocated for by Tim Brown of IDEO and other ambassadors of the innovation processes, into a defined tool and process.
- Any strategy team that qualifies as informed experts in the field that is to be evaluated can execute the exercises with the pyramid. To get the best result, involve creators and validators from multiple disciplines.
- Structure the insight that is needed as input at the different levels of the pyramid, so it can be mapped in workshops or meetings with the team.
- Make sure to have at least one consultant in the team that is trained to facilitate creation processes, to move the work with mapping the pyramid forward.
Creative techniques and validation tools can be defined upfront or added as the iterations of mapping proceed.
The balance between running a successful operation and creating innovations for the future is two different mindsets. The strategy and the implementation of improvements is often done with one of the two perspectives. Put in contrast, you define your next step either with a calculator or a crystal ball.
The pyramid of business transformation © connects these two approaches in a efficient and accurate way. The result is a fast track to validated, testable business development descriptions, that support existing operations and define the way to a transformed offering and when the time is right transformed business model.
Harness the opportunities of your changing business future, and keep a good map of the path ahead.